We provide an ethos and environment within school that helps children to feel safe, secure and respected. We encourage them to talk openly and enable them to feel confident that they will be listened to.
For some children, our school may be the only stable, secure and predictable element in their lives.
Maintaining children’s welfare is our paramount concern.
We support the welfare and safety of all pupils by ensuring:
- that all adults in school with substantial access to children:
- have had a suitability check, and
- are monitored consistently.
- we include social and emotional aspects of learning in the curriculum
- child protection is in the curriculum. This helps children stay safe, recognise when they don’t feel safe and identify who they can talk to.
- students have a range of appropriate adults to approach if they are in difficulties.
- all staff recognise the signs of abuse and know our procedures.
- we support child development in ways that foster security, confidence and independence.
- ensuring we maintain site security and students’ physical safety.
- parents understand our responsibility to ensure the welfare of all children and the need to refer to other agencies in some situations.
- all members of the school community follow our procedure in cases of suspected abuse.
- the school is part of Sussex Police Operation Encompass.
- we monitor children with welfare or protection concerns. Keeping confidential records that we store securely and share appropriately with other professionals.
- we work effectively with other agencies, especially the Police and Children’s Social Care.
For more detail see our Child Protection and Safeguarding policy.
Think U know – protects children offline and online.
NSPCC – has advice on keeping children safe
CEOP helps any child or young person under 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in ‘the real world’, or both.
The Click CEOP button takes you to the CEOP Safety Centre where you can make a report.